rethinking general purpose and creative coding
PraxisLIVE is a hybrid visual IDE for live programming - a nodes and code system providing the benefits of both visual and textual coding, while aiming to counter some of the deficiencies of both. PraxisLIVE began as a tool for creative coders, but has broadened to embrace more general purpose programming, while retaining access to features for creatives.
PraxisCORE is at the heart of PraxisLIVE, a modular real-time recodeable actor system. It can be used via PraxisLIVE, for exporting standalone projects, as a command line tool, or as individual libraries. Supporting distributed processes and hot code reloading at all times, it brings aspects of Smalltalk, Erlang and Extempore to the Java platform.
Download from www.praxislive.org
All of PraxisLIVE is free and open-source. PraxisCORE is free to use in open-source and commercial projects. Development is supported by Codelerity Ltd., who can also provide commercial support and custom development.
...imagine combining the best of Java or Processing with the best of visual node-based systems like Node-RED; imagine components defined as code fragments, so you're never constrained by what comes built-in; imagine forking components or creating new ones all while your project is running...
- Real-time processing. Forest-of-actors architecture for low-latency, data processing, media & embedded. Optional graphics module with support for Processing, GStreamer and OpenGL. Optional audio with Pipes and JACK.
- Intuitive graphical patching. Node-based actor graph editing for fast visual project building. Drag & drop components, draw in connections. Edit everything live - instant feedback without interrupting flow.
- Extend at runtime. Fork components on-the-fly, or create new ones from scratch, with real-time code reload. Integrated live Java editor and compiler. Export and share, or import from a growing library.
- Distributed by Design. Built from the ground up for working with multiple pipelines using a distributed architecture. Option to run projects transparently across processes or machines.
Visual project building
- Graph editor
- GUI control panel editor
- MIDI bindings editor
- OSC bindings editor
- Component editors
- Custom components
- Coding in PraxisLIVE
- Coding core components
- Coding audio components
- Coding video components
- Coding OpenGL video components
- Coding Tinkerforge components
- Properties & animation
- Additional annotations
- Data Pipes
- Shared code
- Third-party libraries
Contact / support
Please report bugs or make features requests on the issue tracker